Need to bring a relative over to the UK for a short stay?

You may need a UK Visitor Visa

If you wish to visit the UK for tourism, to see family and friends or for business purposes, a visitor’s visa may be the right visa for you. 

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a visitor visa an applicant must demonstrate that they are genuinely seeking to enter the UK for the purposes of a visit and not for some other reason. Applicants must show that they intend to visit the UK for no more than six months and that they will leave the UK at the end of their proposed stay in the UK (this is known as the 'genuine intention to return'). Applicants are also required to demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to maintain and accommodate themselves (and any dependents) without access to public funds. 

So, UK Immigration authorities must be satisfied that:

  • You will leave the UK at the end of your visit

  • You will not live in the UK for extended periods

  • You are genuinely seeking entry as a Visitor

  • You will not undertake any Prohibited Activities

  • You’re able to support yourself and any dependents for the duration of your trip

What is a Business Visitor?

You can apply to enter the UK as a business visitor if you are coming to the UK for business purposes if:

  • Attending business conferences or training 

  • Academic work, such as research or accompanying international students on a study program 

  • Participating in a specific sporting event 

  • Medical professionals entering the UK for clinical attachment or observation 

  • Applying for, or enquiring about, funding to start or run a UK business as a prospective entrepreneur 

  • Taking the following tests: Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)


If I satisfy the above eligibility requirements, can I still be refused a visitor visa?

  • Yes, if you are deemed to be unsuitable

How long can I stay in the UK if I am granted a Visitor’s Visa?

  • 6 months, subject to several exceptions

Can I visit the UK with the intention of getting married or entering into a civil partnership?

  • Yes

Can I visit the UK for Private Medical Treatment?

  • Yes


MANCHESTER: 0161 503 0553

LONDON:        0203 976 6577

BIRMINGHAM: 0121 725 1550




M8 9LE




MON-FRI 9:00-5:30


GDPR Policy

Privacy Policy

Complaints Procedure

Masaud Solicitors Limited T/A Masaud Solicitors is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA No: 666682). Masaud Solicitors Limited is registered in England and Wales with registration number 12303416. Registered office address is 430 Cheetham Hill Road, Manchester, M8 9LE. We do not accept service by email or fax