Do you need to bring a relative to the UK for longer than 6 months old? 

You will need a Family Visa

Available to the following list of family members:

  • spouse or unmarried partner;

  • fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner;

  • child;

  • parent and;

  • relative who’ll provide long-term care for you.

The Immigration Rules offer various complex routes (as above) to enter or remain in the UK.

Our team will tailor our advice to the particular circumstances and needs of each client, they will make the process easier by providing legal advice which goes beyond the Home Office's own guidance. 



  • You and your partner are both over the age of 18 at the time of submitting the application;

  • You are not in a forbidden relationship with your partner (i.e. too closely related);

  • You have met your partner in person;

  • You are in a genuine and subsisting marriage;

  • You were free to marry (i.e. any previous marriages have been legally ended);

  • You intend to live together with your partner permanently;

  • The sponsoring partner must earn more than £18,600 per year or have enough savings to be able to sponsor you (the income threshold is higher if they are also sponsoring dependant children);

  • Proof that you have sufficient knowledge of the English Language.

Switching into a Spouse visa 

You can apply for a spouse visa from overseas or from within the UK.

If you are already in the UK on a fiancé visa, work visa, or student visa valid for more than six months, you may be able to switch into a spouse visa.

If applying from overseas, a spouse visa is initially issued for 33 months. If you are applying from within the UK a spouse visa is issued for a period of 30 months.


The fees for this type of visa are constantly changing and please call us to ask for the current up to date visa fees.

Our fees to assist in this type of application will be £1,200-1,500.


430 Cheetham Hill Rd

Cheetham Hill


M8 9LE

Contact Information:

Manchester: 0161 503 0553

London: 0203 976 6577

Birmingham: 0121 725 1550

Masaud Solicitors Limited T/A Masaud Solicitors is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA No: 666682). Masaud Solicitors Limited is registered in England and Wales with registration number 12303416. The registered office address is 430 Cheetham Hill Road, Manchester, M8 9LE. We do not accept service by email or fax.