Need to bring a relative over to the UK for longer than 6 months?

You may need a UK Family Visa

The family settlement visa is available to the following list of family members:

  • spouse or unmarried partner

  • fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner

  • child

  • parent

  • relative who’ll provide long-term care for you

The Immigration Rules offer various routes (as above) to enter or remain in the UK. Each of these are complex but our solicitor makes the process easier by providing legal advice which goes beyond the Home Office's own guidance. We will tailor our advice to the particular circumstances and needs of each client.

As it is vital for each application to meet the mandatory requirements and to satisfy the list of documentation in support of this, we take extreme care in providing you advice and our services. We will advice you on each of the requirements, which are summarised below:

  • that you meet the suitability requirements;

  • that you and your partner are both over the age of 18 at the time of submitting the application;

  • that you are not in a forbidden relationship with your partner (i.e. too closely related);

  • that you have met your partner in person;

  • that you are in a genuine and subsisting marriage;

  • that you were free to marry (i.e. any previous marriages have been legally ended);

  • that you intend to live together with your partner permanently;

  • the sponsoring partner must earn more than £18,600 per year or have enough savings to be able to sponsor you (the income threshold is higher if they are also sponsoring dependant children);

  • proof that you have sufficient knowledge of the English Language.

You can apply for a spouse visa from overseas or from within the UK. If you are already in the UK on a fiancé visa, work visa, or student visa valid for more than six months, you may be able to switch into a spouse visa. If applying from overseas, a spouse visa is initially issued for 33 months. If you are applying from within the UK a spouse visa is issued for a period of 30 months.

The fees for this type of visa are constantly changing and please call us to ask for the current up to date visa fees. Our fees to assist in this type of application will be £1,200-1,500.


MANCHESTER: 0161 503 0553

LONDON:        0203 976 6577

BIRMINGHAM: 0121 725 1550




M8 9LE




MON-FRI 9:00-5:30


GDPR Policy

Privacy Policy

Complaints Procedure

Masaud Solicitors Limited T/A Masaud Solicitors is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA No: 666682). Masaud Solicitors Limited is registered in England and Wales with registration number 12303416. Registered office address is 430 Cheetham Hill Road, Manchester, M8 9LE. We do not accept service by email or fax